[Paraview] Paraview 5.4.1 error message & freeze

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Wed Oct 4 19:27:03 EDT 2017

[cc'ing to the paraview mailing list so others may contribute to and
benefit from the discussion]

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Sonya Davydycheva <sdavyd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Cory,
>
> For your prompt response. Good to know that the message is harmless.
>
> My Paraview 5.4.1 just stops responding sometimes.

If it stops responding consistently after a specific event or sequence of
events, please let us know. It shouldn't do that :-)

> But, well, I installed on another (older) laptop an older version, 4.0.1
> (5.4.1 did not work there), and it does not freeze. So far, I think it is
> ok for my learning purpose.

Very good.

> Both versions (on both computers) allow me to visualize my sample
> model.vtk file: in RenderView I can do Threshold, Slice and Clip and see
> some 3D pictures. But something is wrong with my other sample data.vtk file
> (or, with my approach?). It contains data points (3 coordinates) and the
> resistivity values assigned to them. When I open it, I can see only the
> resistivity colorbar, and I can add axes, but the image stays empty.
> Threshold does not work at all (and even the colorbar disappears when I
> apply it).
> Slice somewhat works, but it stays gray/empty and does not change as I
> move it along the box.
> And when I am in "Slice" mode, pressing "Apply" removes the colorbar as
> well, and does not show anything meaningful.
>
> Any idea how can I activate Threshold or Slice for my resistivity data.vtk?
>
> I am beginner and suspect I just miss something simple...
> Reading ParaViewGettingStarted-5.4.0.pdf and ParaViewTutorial54.pdf, does
> not help, so far.

I suspect that you do not have any cells in your 3-point data.vtk file.
Without cells, there is nothing for ParaView to visualize. This is a common
stumbling block for people trying to visualize point data.I suggest after
colored according to your resistivity array. Now you should be able to
apply the Threshold and Slice filters as you would expect.

Thanks,
Cory

--
Cory Quammen