[Paraview] Degrees of freedom

Samuel Key samuelkey at bresnan.net
Sat Nov 18 13:00:51 EST 2017

Doina--

At the risk of underestimating ParaView's functionalities, I can tell
you what will work. For displaying geometry,  PV only needs Point (aka
nodal point) x,y,z-coordinates, a Cell (aka Finite Element, ...)  type
and for each Cell an n-tuple of Point "array locations", for example,
EnSight-format::{1,2,4,3,7,8,} or VTK-format::{0,1,3,2,6,7}.

The VTK format uses C-language 'array offsets' for Cell connectivity
n-tuples. The EnSight format uses FORTRAN-language array locations for
Finite Element connectivity n-tuples. It is just the way it is.

Variables are either located at Points or in Cells (conceptually Cell
centers). The arrays supplied for variables must span all of the Points
or all of the Cells. (I do not know how to use or about the
acceptability of "partially" specified variable datum sets.) For Points
with 6-DOFs versus 3-DOFs, if you want to see the three rotational DOFs,
use POINT DATA arrays and fill in the Phi-x, Phi-y, Phi-z values using
zeros for at those Points without a rotation.

If you want to visually display a 2-node, 6-DOF beam's geometry (a
curved beam or a deformed beam) , one solution is too use a VTK Cell
type 'VTK_QUADRATIC_EDGE = 21'  for the beam. This will require you to
add-on-the-fly to the simulation results a beam center-Point with
x,y,z-coordinates and displacements for the beam's center Point using
the beam's interpolation functions. (PV has a Warp Filter that will let
you then scale up the deflections for visualization purposes.)

Should you have access to source code for the simulations, I can supply
FORTRAN language routines that write VTK ASCII-formatted simulation
results. (My personal preference is the EnSight format.)

--Sam