[Paraview] About the SC17.5.5.preview binaries...

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed Nov 8 15:15:48 EST 2017

Hey folks,

As Utkarsh pointed out on Oct 23'rd "ParaView Release Roadmap", we decided
to push the 5.5 ParaView release from just before IEEE SC17 out to the
Spring of 2018.
Still there are a lot of good things already in master that we want to show
off at SC that we'd like to draw your attention to. So we decided to put
these current master binaries up on the download page as a technology
preview of what's coming in 5.5.

* The OSPRay path tracing capability and the accompanying Light Inspector
panel are pretty nice if I do say so myself.
* The separate color maps option that makes it easy to have multiple color
lookup tables for the same named array (on different representations of
views for example) is quite handy in certain situations and frequently
requested by users.
* We moved Tools->Python Shell to View->Python Shell and made it a dockable
widget.
* The nvpipe image compressor option does a great job at speeding up server
to client image delivery from nvpipe enabled servers.
* The Cell Size filter is another very handy little addition as are the new
Gradient Filter options.
* The revamped zoom to box camera interaction is much more predictable than
before.

There is a lot more that I am omitting for brevity but the point is that
there are a lot of good things to look forward to when 5.5 comes out in the
Spring. So please do give the 5.5 technology preview binaries a whirl and
let us know what you think of them via the mailing list and or issue
tracker. That will help a lot as we finish up even more features and work
to make the current ones even better.

thanks,

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.