[Paraview] RedHat6/mesa/Paraview5.3 problem

Patrick Begou Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr
Mon May 29 04:29:14 EDT 2017

Hi Chuck

thanks for all these details. Finaly I had to install a dedicated version of
mesa as the update to 11.0.7 from ELrepo was breaking one of our licensed
software (ANSYS) and I had to roll back to 10.4.3.:-[
I've compiled mesa-17.0.4 (with llvm-4.0.0, libdrm-2.4.70, xcb-proto-1.12,
pthread-stubs-0.3, libXau-1.0.8, libxcb-1.12, libxshmfence-1.2 prerequisites)
and all seams running fine now with hardware rendering (?). In my VNC session:
$ glxinfo
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 4.0, 256 bits)
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.4

so am I using the GPU (direct rendering is set to yes) or the CPU (if llvmpipe
is software rendering) ?

Patrick

Chuck Atkins wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
>     On a RedHat 6 server, with AMD firepro W7000 GPU

>     I'm launching paraview via vncviewer on this node.
>

> If you're running via VNC then unfortunately you won't be using the GPU
> (unless you get more creative with something like VirtualGL).  You're only
> going to be able to use the CPU based renderer in Mesa.
>
>     If you are using Mesa please make sure you have version 10.6.5 or later
>     and make sure your driver in Mesa supports OpenGL 3.2.
>

> So, Mesa got OpenGL 3.2 support in 10.6.5, but not all of the drivers
> implemented it until much later.
>
>     OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.6, 256 bits)
>

> llvmpipe is Mesa's software renderer
>

>     OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 11.0.7
>

> Older versions of Mesa may have supported OpenGL 3.2 at it's core but the
> llvmpipe driver still took a while to catch up.
>

>     So which minimal mesa version is required for paraview 5.3 ?
>

> It wasn't until Mesa 12 that OpenGL 3.2 was properly supported and reported by
> all Mesa drivers.  With some versions of 11, though, it works *enough* that
> you can fake it by exporting the environment variable GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.2,
> so give that a try.  If you instead want to just use the linux binaries from
> paraview.org <http://paraview.org>, we build those on EL6 and include a very
> recent copy of mesa with it that you can make paraview use with:
>
> paraview --mesa-swr
>
> That instructs ParaView to use it's own copy of Mesa and the OpenSWR parallel
> CPU rasterizer.
>
> - Chuck

|  Equipe M.O.S.T.         |                                      |
|  Patrick BEGOU           | mailto:Patrick.Begou at grenoble-inp.fr |
|  LEGI                    |                                      |
|  BP 53 X                 | Tel 04 76 82 51 35                   |
|  38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX    | Fax 04 76 82 52 71                   |