[Paraview] OffScreen/OnScreen, Software/Hardware Rendering with EGL

Jacques Papper jacques.papper at gmail.com
Mon May 22 12:20:19 EDT 2017

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to build ParaView 5.3.0 (Client as
well as Server / Batch etc...) in one go with off-screen / on-screen, GPU
and software support. (i.e 4 different combinations possible)

My understanding is that EGL is a step forward in allowing this as it
should provide the ability to use the GPU in off-screen contexts ?

I know that the current ParaView 5.3.0 installation supports both CPU and
GPU rendering by swapping out the OpenGL2 libs at runtime (the MESA OpenGL
libs are put in the mesa subfolder).

However, I haven't figured out if it is possible to have off-screen and
on-screen rendering activated / de-activated at runtime ? And if so, is it
only for the software rendering capability or for the hardware rendering
capability as well ?

If it is possible to have all 4 possibilities selectable at runtime, what
are the build options to enable this ?

Even if I need to do separate builds and swap out the libs at runtime that
would be fine !

Thanks !
Jacques