[Paraview] ASCII data visualization in paraview

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Thu May 18 09:16:40 EDT 2017

SaiD,

The VTK legacy file format, which supports an ASCII option, is fairly
straightforward. You may even get lucky and be able to adapt the file
you attached (I haven't looked at it) by simply adding some header
information. Documentation for that format is located at
http://www.vtk.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/file-formats.pdf

HTH,
Cory

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 6:32 AM, Saideep Pavuluri
<Saideep.Pavuluri at pet.hw.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi everyone;
>

> Until now I was using “OpenFOAM” software which has a dedicated reader
> available in paraview to read the output files.
>

> In parallel, I am working with a software called “Gerris”. Both the
> software’s use a collocated grid arrangement with field variables located at
> the cell centres. Unfortunately, Gerris writes an output in “vtk” format yet
> the data is always interpolated to the cell nodes which I don’t want. I am
> just interested in the cell centre data.
>

> As an alternative, I tried to write the output in ASCII format, with
> information regarding the cell centre co-ordinates (X, Y, Z) and velocity
> field data (U, V which are primary variables) at specific time intervals.
>
> I realize it is not straight forward to visualize the ASCII data in paraview
> nor are there any readily available converters that do the transformation
> from a ASCII to VTK as per my knowledge.
>

> Can anyone guide me here,
>

> For reference, attached you will find my ASCII data output which I would
> like to visualise.
>

> Thanks;
>
> SaiD

Cory Quammen