[Paraview] netcdf

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue May 16 00:36:57 EDT 2017

Rupert,

As Aashish said, it might be easier to diagnose the issue if you sent us a file. But if your file is not following the CF or COARDS convention, then the reader will simply interpret the arrays in the file as uniform grids with spacing of 1. This is not likely to conform with the coordinates you want.

The official documentation for the CF convention is maintained here: http://cfconventions.org/. In summary, you specify coordinates by using arrays of the same name as the dimension. So for example if you have a 3D array with dimensions named “Z”, “Y”, and “X”, then you also make a 1D variable named “X” on the “X” dimension that has the x coordinate for each grid point in the dimension. Likewise, you have a “Y” variable on the “Y” dimension for y coordinates and a “Z” variable on the “Z” dimension for the z coordinates.

Or, if you don’t want to mess with your file format, you can do as Sam suggested and transform the data once it is loaded into ParaView.

-Ken