[Paraview] workstation slow render

andrealphus andrealphus at gmail.com
Mon May 8 17:02:45 EDT 2017

Trying to make some animations on a new workstation (everything is local!)
and things are unbelievably slow (my 8 year old mac pro runs faster with
paraview!)

System specs:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2697 v4 @ 2.30GHz (18 cores)
128 Gb ram
NVIDIA Corporation GM204GL [Quadro M4000]
Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

I'm using the proprietary nvidia drivers. I installed from source (git),
using;
ccmake -DQt5_DIR=$QTLOC/Qt5.6.2/5.6/gcc_64/lib/cmake/Qt5 ./$PVLOC/ParaView

enable python, turned off shared libs, and enabled mpi

any thoughts? size of the model doesnt matter, just that it runs faster on
an 8 year old machine with PV4, then it does on this workstation.

Any way to make a single instance of ./bin/paraview use more than one core?

Any way to check that gpu rendering is occuring correctly?

these questions were all searched for online but not adequately answered.