[Paraview] How do you "see" FieldData

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Mar 23 17:59:34 EDT 2017

I don't think Plot Global Variables Over Time works the way you think it does. This filter assumes that the global arrays contain a static array the same size as the number of time steps and then plots that with the time array on the x axis and the entries in this array in the y axis. If the size of the global variable does not equal the number of time steps, the view will show nothing.

I think you really want to use Plot Selection Over Time. That you can give a value and it will iterate the pipeline over time and compute the value for each time step. Unfortunately, it looks like the filter is broken for selections on field data. It works, however, on table data, so you can write the result as that.

I got what I think you want using the can data set. Here are the steps I used:

1. Load can.ex2. All variables. Apply.
2. Add the Programmable Filter. Set the output type to vtkTable (!) and use the following script:
disp_y = inputs[0].PointData["DISPL"][:,1]
mean_disp = mean(disp_y)
output.RowData.append(mean_disp, "MEAN_DISP")
3. Select the single row shown in the spreadsheet that pops up.
4. Add Plot Selection Over Time filter. Apply.

-Ken