[Paraview] Help on SPHVolumeInterpolator

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu Mar 16 08:37:59 EDT 2017

Carola-

What Jean said :-) The patch is waiting on me and I am waiting on deadlines
which will be clearing up shortly.

If you haven't seen these yet, it's worth reviewing these articles:
https://blog.kitware.com/point-and-smoothed-particle-hydrodynamics-sph-interpolation-in-vtk/
https://blog.kitware.com/point-and-smoothed-particle-hydrodynamics-sph-interpolation-in-paraview/

Best,

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Favre Jean <jfavre at cscs.ch> wrote:

> Carola
>
> the answer is "soon". ParaView's GUI already enables the setting of the
> so-called Cuttoff Array. In the GUI (I am assuming you use version 5.3),
> there should be a setting for the Density and the Mass arrays. And just
> below it, is the 3rd setting for the "smooting length" array.
> Unfortunately, we are waiting on a patch to the underlying VTK class
> vtkSPHInterpolator.cxx which currently has a small error preventing the
> correct setting.
>
> By the way, I strongly suggest that you use a version of ParaView compiled
> with OpenMP, or TBB. You will see great speed-ups on a multi-core node,
> since the Point Interpolators (Line, Plane, Volume) are all parallelized
> on-the-node.
>
> Until the patch is merged into VTK, and ParaView picks up the change, you
> will be limited to setting the Density and Mass arrays. (Unless you compile
> your own ParaView, and I can tell you how to edit the source code to enable
> the smoothing array.)

> Jean/CSCS

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc. - Building the World's Technical Computing Software
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065
will.schroeder at kitware.com
http://www.kitware.com