[Paraview] Potential Memory Error in CAVE mode

Faiz Abidi fabidi89 at vt.edu
Mon Mar 13 15:10:47 EDT 2017

Hi again community!

I have been testing Paraview 5.2.0 in a CAVE mode with pretty big data (1+
billion points) while remotely connected to some HPC servers.

PROBLEM: In CAVE mode, I get the below error when I try to change mode from
"Outline" to "Points". Same issue while doing other things as well like
applying a Glyph (Sphere), etc.

ERROR: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what():  std::bad_alloc

The same issue doesn't occur if I don't use the CAVE mode in that I simple
connect a Paraview client with the HPC servers and don't pass any pvx file.

I read some similar online discussions pointing towards memory issues but
it's hard for me to believe that given  a) I have hundreds of gigs of
memory and most of it remains empty even with my big data loaded, b) the
issue doesn't occur when not in a CAVE mode.

Anyone experienced any such similar issues?

Thanks for all the help!
--
Faiz Abidi | Master's Student at Virginia Tech | www.faizabidi.com |
+1-540-998-6636