[Paraview] CellCenters filter produces non-deterministic result

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 09:20:57 EST 2017

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 8:10 PM, Andy Bauer <andy.bauer at kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I'm not sure how it works with structured grids but with vtkUniformGrids
> (i.e. vtkImageData with blanking) the VTK readers and writers really just
> produce vtkImageData and the blanking is ignored. It may be the same with
> the XML structured grid files. My suggestion would be to look at the
> vtkImageDataToUniformGrid class in VTK and try doing a similar thing in
> ParaView using the Python Programmable filter.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 10:22 AM, David Doria <daviddoria at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Andy Bauer <andy.bauer at kitware.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the bug report!
>>>
>>> I think the stackoverflow issue is probably also related to blanking. I
>>> added to your bug report with two other (likely) related issues.
>>>
>>> As a side note, I think if blanking was used instead of ghost cells this
>>> may work properly.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Andy

>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> The file was created with something like this:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/daviddoria/8bf981aa593b7cefcd9114588e4766db
>>
>> Does calling
>>
>> structuredGrid->BlankPoint(0);
>>
>> not count as "using blanking"? Can you point me to the "right way" to do
>> this if this is not the current best practice?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> David

I created a uniform grid:

https://gist.github.com/daviddoria/99fa99c52aa07ee78b7e7412e74d592f
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8yIfGqnlfSoNTNKWWtua1pEUTA

Using the vtkXMLImageDataWriter seemed to write the same type of
vtkGhostType array (shown in the cell data in Paraview), but Paraview
doesn't seem to respect the blanking - all 8 voxels are drawn.

Any other ideas?

David