[Paraview] CellCenters filter produces non-deterministic result

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 10:22:37 EST 2017

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Andy Bauer <andy.bauer at kitware.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the bug report!
>
> I think the stackoverflow issue is probably also related to blanking. I
> added to your bug report with two other (likely) related issues.
>
> As a side note, I think if blanking was used instead of ghost cells this
> may work properly.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy
>
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 8:45 AM, David Doria <daviddoria at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Andy Bauer <andy.bauer at kitware.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> This looks like it has to do with blanking (i.e. in PV 5.2 if I don't
>>> load the vtkGhostType array it has the proper bounds). Would you mind
>>> putting in a bug report on Gitlab (https://gitlab.kitware.com/pa
>>> raview/paraview)?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Andy
>>>

>> Done:
>> https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/issues/17244
>>
>> Here is another presumed bug that seems to also have to do with blanking:
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/42543340/cell-
>> labels-in-selection-display-inspector-dont-work-when-any-
>> cells-are-ghosted - not trying to pollute this thread but do you think
>> that behavior could be helpful to understand the Cell Centers issue?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> David

Hi Andy,

The file was created with something like this:

https://gist.github.com/daviddoria/8bf981aa593b7cefcd9114588e4766db

Does calling

structuredGrid->BlankPoint(0);

not count as "using blanking"? Can you point me to the "right way" to do
this if this is not the current best practice?

Thanks!

David