[Paraview] Trouble building the ParaView sources

Rob Groner rob.groner at psu.edu
Thu Jun 22 17:28:16 EDT 2017

Hello,

I'm trying to build the paraview sources.  I downloaded the 5.4.0
sources, and I'm using Fedora 25 Workstation.

I've read through the README.md that's in the root directory, and that
leads me to Documentation/dev/build.md.

Going through these steps:
1) I've verified cmake is on my system and in the PATH.
2) I've verified qt is installed, and is version 4.8.7
3) Compiler and Build tool:

Here's where issues begin.  Since I'm using Fedora/yum, the packages
don't directly translate.

I've verified or installed the following packages from the list:
cmake
git
python-dev
freeglut3-dev
autoconf
libtool
bison
flex
ninja-build

But I can't seem to find these:
mesa-common-dev
mesa-utils
libhdf5-serial-dev

(I did notice that some mesa packages were installed when freeglut was)

I continued on to see how much farther I could get, and the next step
immediately stumped me:

sudo python get-pip.py

That returns a "no get-pip.py found" error.  I've verified no get-
pip.py file is in the ParaView sources (or anywhere else on the
system), so I'm missing something here.

I still continued on, and ran into another issue.  The "Run CMake" step
references a src and build directory.  I understand that it is talking
about the previous step using git to "Retrieve the source", but I
downloaded them as a single .tar.gz file from the website instead.
Looking at the git sources, they appear to be the same files and
structure as what is in the .tar.gz, so I just put the extracted
contents of the archive into a "src" dir, and create a "build" dir at
the same level.

I then execute:  ccmake ../src

CMake does come up, but instead of seeing the 3 variables shown in the
README, I see just "EMPTY CACHE".

Any additional help or guidance would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Rob

--
Rob Groner
Software Engineer