[Paraview] Simple XDMF example

Insley, Joseph A. insley at anl.gov
Thu Jun 22 13:34:05 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I am trying to get a simple XDMF example working, but am having no success.  I must be doing something obvious wrong, but I’m not seeing it.  Here’s what the data looks like:

$ h5dump -H ./small_ds.hdf5
HDF5 "./small_ds.hdf5" {
GROUP "/" {
   DATASET "myelin" {
      DATATYPE  H5T_STD_U8LE
      DATASPACE  SIMPLE { ( 256, 256, 256 ) / ( 256, 256, 256 ) }
   }
}
}

And here’s the xdmf file I’m trying to use:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE Xdmf SYSTEM "Xdmf.dtd" []>
<Xdmf Version="2.0" xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
<Domain>
<DataItem ItemType="Uniform"
          Format="HDF"
          NumberType="UInt"
          Precision="1"
          Dimensions="256 256 256">
    small_ds.hdf5:/myelin
</DataItem>
</Domain>
</Xdmf>

Choosing the Xdmf3 Reader or Xdmf3 Reader (Top Level Partition) results in an empty data set, where there are no point or cell arrays, and everything on the Information tab is listed as NA.
Choosing the Xdmf Reader results in a seg fault.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
joe