[Paraview] Annotate time as data/time using pythonannotation and programmablefilter

Eelco van Vliet eelcovv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 11:41:33 EDT 2017

Dear Utkarsh,

After some more googling and your answer I found the solution. Indeed I
have to store the data as a string in the Programmable Filter and then
retrieve with GetValue in the Python Annoatation.
My ProgrammableFilter with Ouput set to vtkData is now

import sys

sys.path.append("C://Apps/Anaconda/Anaconda2/envs/paraview/Lib/site-packages/")

import netCDF4 as nc

t = inputs[0].GetInformation().Get(vtk.vtkDataObject.DATA_TIME_STEP())

date_time = nc.num2date(t, units="hours since 0001-01-01 00:00:00",
calendar="gregorian")

outputarray = vtk.vtkStringArray()

outputarray.SetName("datetime")

outputarray.SetNumberOfTuples(1)

outputarray.SetValue(0, "{}".format(date_time))

print("{} -> {}".format(t, date_time))

output.RowData.AddArray(outputarray)

and after that I add a PythonAnnotation with Row Data as Array
Association and the following expression

"{}".format(input.RowData["datetime"].GetValue(0))

It is not very trivial I must say, but the result is now that I can
plot a date/time string in stead of a float with number of hourse
since. Excellent! Thanks for your quick help

Regards

Eelco

Ps: for those interessed in using netcdf4 with paraview: you have to
make sure to get all the versions correct. I did this by using
Anaconda and than create a special paraview environment

conda create -n paraview python=2.7.3 netcdf4

activate paraview

conda install numpy=1.8.1