[Paraview] MPI on multiple nodes

Patrick Begou Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr
Tue Jul 25 12:45:23 EDT 2017

I think the syntax for mpiexec is:

mpiexec -np 8 --host host_one,host_two pvserver

This would launch 4 occurences of pvserver on host_one and 4 on host_two.

1) first check mpi is running:

mpiexec -np 2 --host host_one,host_two hostname

This should print the name of the 2 hosts.

If it does not works check you can ssh from one host to the other without password.

2) You need the same paraview/pvserver install on the two hosts in the same
location (not imposed but it is easier to launch)

3) May be use reverse connection from the parallel pvserver to the paraview
client when you launch pvserver

Patrick

Mariam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask about running pvserver in parallel with MPI on multiple
> hosts. Is that possible?
>
> The following commands were tested successfully:
>
> 1)Running MPI on localhost:
>
> mpiexec –n M localhost pvserver
>
> 2)Running MPI on remotehost:
>
> mpiexec –host remotehost –n M pvserver
>
> But I was not able to run: mpiexec –hosts 2 localhost 1 remotehost 1 pvserver
>
> I run the following to test MPI on multiple hosts and it worked: mpiexec
> –hosts 2 localhost 1 remotehost 1 hostname
>
> Is there any pre-configuration that should be done to pvserver? I want the
> clients to connect to the server (master server), and the jobs are distributed
> across multiple nodes.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mariam

|  Equipe M.O.S.T.         |                                      |
|  Patrick BEGOU           | mailto:Patrick.Begou at grenoble-inp.fr |
|  LEGI                    |                                      |
|  BP 53 X                 | Tel 04 76 82 51 35                   |
|  38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX    | Fax 04 76 82 52 71                   |