[Paraview] Trying to get a Paraview API like environment

Amine Aboufirass Amine.Aboufirass at deltares.nl
Fri Jul 21 07:19:41 EDT 2017

Dear all,

I am trying to control Paraview application using an external python IDE (IDLE). The objective is to send commands using Paraview.simple modules from IDLE and see the changes take place in the Paraview GUI. I cannot use the python shell in Paraview because I seek to use other unrelated libraries so would prefer not to be bound to the shell in Paraview.

So far, I have succeeded in importing the Paraview modules (simple, servermanager...etc) from IDLE. I accomplished this thanks to a 2014 thread (http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/paraview/2014-June/031517.html) using the following commands in IDLE:

>>> import os
>>> os.chdir(r'C:\Program Files\ParaView 5.0.1\bin')
>>> import paraview.simple
>>> os.chdir(r'D:\TEMP\Myfolder')

I attempted some of the examples in the Paraview docs online. For instance:

>>> from paraview.simple import *
>>> cone = Cone()
>>> Show()
>>> Render()

Fortunately, this does indeed create a cone and output it to a new window (OpenGL). Unfortunately this is not what I am trying to do. I need to be able to render it in the Paraview program.

Beyond this simple example I will also eventually need to load in vtk legacy timeseries into Paraview, change some of their visualization parameters and then export several animations. It would be great if I could achieve this from a simple IDLE terminal.

Please let me know if this is even possible? If so am I on the right track? What are the options missing for me to be able to do this ?

Amine Aboufirass

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper, incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.