[Paraview] Importing time dependent, but not space dependent, data into ParaView

Steytler, Louis Louw steytle1 at illinois.edu
Tue Jul 18 12:45:21 EDT 2017

Hi All,

I am doing some ALE multiphase fluid computations utilizing a moving mesh, and I am reading an Exodus database into ParaView. The database contains many time steps and multiple blocks.

The database contains a 3D mesh, and the usual quantities such as velocities and pressure, and mesh displacements.

Using my CFD code I compute an integral quantity at each time step. This quantity is not written to the Exodus file, it is available in a separate text file. I would like to read this quantity into ParaView for each time step, and use it in a computation together with point data.

Basically I am computing the centre of mass of an Exodus block, so that I could subtract that quantity from all the mesh displacements to get the mesh to be in the reference frame of a specific Exodus block. Because the centre of mass is a function of time only (not of space), I am guessing I would either import this as field data or as point data by setting the variable's value to be the same at every node in the mesh for a specific time step. I would like to use the ParaView calculator to subtract the time dependent data from the space and time dependent mesh displacements.

Any ideas?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks very much,

Louis Steytler
Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering
1206 West Green Street
Urbana, Il 61801
steytle1 at illinois.edu