[Paraview] Running Paraview on an HPC machine with multiple processes?

Jake Gerard jake.a.gerard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 15:37:34 EDT 2017

Good Afternoon,

I have been moving to an HDF5/XDMF system for analyzing big data from a
computational fluid model. I finally got all the basic components working
on my local machine but have run into problems when trying to run on an HPC
system. Here is the XDMF file:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE Xdmf SYSTEM "Xdmf.dtd" []>
<Xdmf xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2003/XInclude" Version="2.1">
  <Domain>
    <Grid Name="my_Grid" GridType="Uniform">
      <Topology TopologyType="3DCoRectMesh" Dimensions="91 19 19">
      </Topology>
      <Geometry GeometryType="Origin_DxDyDz">
        <DataItem Dimensions="3" NumberType="Integer" Format="XML">
          0 0 0
        </DataItem>
        <DataItem Dimensions="3" NumberType="Integer" Format="XML">
          1 1 1
        </DataItem>
      </Geometry>
      <Attribute Name="pressure" AttributeType="Scalar" Center="Node">
        <DataItem Dimensions="91 19 19" NumberType="Float" Format="HDF">
          out.h5:/pres_group/presmag
        </DataItem>
      </Attribute>
      <Attribute Name="velocity" AttributeType="Vector" Center="Node">
        <DataItem ItemType="Function" Function="JOIN($0, $1, $2)"
Dimensions="91 19 19 3">
          <DataItem Dimensions="91 19 19" NumberType="Float" Format="HDF">
            out.h5:/velo_group/x_velo
          </DataItem>
          <DataItem Dimensions="91 19 19" NumberType="Float" Format="HDF">
            out.h5:/velo_group/y_velo
          </DataItem>
          <DataItem Dimensions="91 19 19" NumberType="Float" Format="HDF">
            out.h5:/velo_group/z_velo
          </DataItem>
        </DataItem>
      </Attribute>
    </Grid>
  </Domain>
</Xdmf>

This has worked properly on my machine. However, when I was getting an
error of failing to read the pressure data when I tried this on multiple
processes. The vector data for velocity was fine, but the pressure data
could not be read. I narrowed the problem down to something regarding the
number of processes because the pressure data worked fine on the HPC
machine if I only ran it on 1 process. Is there anything that sticks out
that could be causing this problem? For instance, is there a different
format for these files when they are run on multiple processes?

Respectfully,

Jacob Gerard