[Paraview] How to properly visualize data in Paraview using HDF5?

Jake Gerard jake.a.gerard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 11:46:54 EDT 2017

Good Morning,

I am trying to update the visualization portion of an HPC fluid model. Used
to use legacy VTK but its starting to reach its limits. I read that HDF5
was good for large data sets and that it could be viewed in Paraview with
XDMF. However, it seems there are so few examples online. I got a long
rectangular channel to show up but the pressure data in it is wrong.
Hopefully if I can solve this, then it will help me update my code along
with anybody else who might be struggling with the same problem.

Is the formatting for this XDMF file incorrect, or is there some other
problem I'm not considering?  I can attach the HDF5 file too if its
necessary.

<?xml version="1.0" ?><!DOCTYPE Xdmf SYSTEM "Xdmf.dtd" []><Xdmf>
  <Domain>
    <Grid Name="my_Grid" GridType="Uniform">
      <Topology TopologyType="3DCoRectMesh" Dimensions="91 19 19">
      </Topology>
      <Geometry GeometryType="Origin_DxDyDz">
        <DataItem Dimensions="3" NumberType="Float" Format="XML">
          0 0 0
        </DataItem>
        <DataItem Dimensions="3" NumberType="Float" Format="XML">
          1 1 1
        </DataItem>
      </Geometry>
      <Attribute Name="pressure" AttributeType="Scalar" Center="Node">
        <DataItem Dimensions="91 19 19" NumberType="Float" Format="HDF">
          output.h5:/pres_group/presmag
        </DataItem>
      </Attribute>
    </Grid>