[Paraview] exodusII reader & writer in parallel

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Fri Jan 13 14:00:06 EST 2017

Hi,

I'm trying out the ExodusII writer in parallel and had some questions about
how it should work in general when there isn't any data on process 0.
Currently what happens in ParaView is that a file for each process is
written out but the file corresponding to process 0 doesn't have any grid
information or field data (an example is attached). When I read this back
into ParaView using the built-in server (i.e. in serial) the ExodusII
reader gets the proper points and cells but no field data is read in.

So my question is this, does the ExodusII file format allow specifying
point and cell arrays in a file if no grid points or cells exist?

I'm tempted to fix this issue by modifying the reader to properly pass the
field data information to process 0 from another one that has data but
wanted to get the community's thoughts on this before I go through the
implementation. The alternative would be to modify the writer to include
point and cell data information and that's probably a better solution,
assuming that the ExodusII format allows for that.

Thanks,
Andy

ps. Attached is a sample set of ExodusII files that doesn't have any data
on parallel.ex2.4.0 in case someone wants to play around with it.