[Paraview] some more questions about Catalyst

张驭洲 yzhzhang at ipe.ac.cn
Tue Jan 3 03:38:40 EST 2017

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply! Now I can run the CxxFullExample, but I've encountered some more problems about it.

1.The CxxFullExample has a 70x60x44 unstructured grid, and it runs relatively quickly. A truncated sample output of Timer Log is as follows:

RenderView::Update,  0.161069 seconds
PVTrivialProducer::GatherInformation,  0.051133 seconds
vtkSMDataDeliveryManager: Deliver Geome,  0.336371 seconds
    FullRes Data Migration,  0.336246 seconds
Still Render,  0.034509 seconds
RenderView::Update,  0.149692 seconds
PVTrivialProducer::GatherInformation,  0.051577 seconds
vtkSMDataDeliveryManager: Deliver Geome,  0.322268 seconds
    FullRes Data Migration,  0.322144 seconds
Still Render,  0.033618 seconds
RenderView::Update,  0.156578 seconds
PVTrivialProducer::GatherInformation,  0.051578 seconds
vtkSMDataDeliveryManager: Deliver Geome,  0.342933 seconds
    FullRes Data Migration,  0.342809 seconds
Still Render,  0.033976 seconds

However, after I modified the grid to a 700x60x44 one and nothing else were modified, it became fairly slow when running. Also, a truncated sample output of Timer Log:

RenderView::Update,  1.48987 seconds
PVTrivialProducer::GatherInformation,  0.493497 seconds
vtkSMRepresentationProxy::GetRepresente,  2.44198 seconds
vtkSMDataDeliveryManager: Deliver Geome,  0.480933 seconds
    FullRes Data Migration,  0.480786 seconds
Still Render,  0.116726 seconds
    OpenGL Dev Render,  0.020361 seconds
RenderView::Update,  1.51507 seconds
PVTrivialProducer::GatherInformation,  0.493821 seconds
vtkSMRepresentationProxy::GetRepresente,  2.47383 seconds
vtkSMDataDeliveryManager: Deliver Geome,  0.481844 seconds
    FullRes Data Migration,  0.481686 seconds
Still Render,  0.116896 seconds
    OpenGL Dev Render,  0.020697 seconds
RenderView::Update,  1.50415 seconds
PVTrivialProducer::GatherInformation,  0.491896 seconds
vtkSMRepresentationProxy::GetRepresente,  2.44277 seconds
vtkSMDataDeliveryManager: Deliver Geome,  0.474105 seconds
    FullRes Data Migration,  0.473959 seconds
Still Render,  0.114223 seconds
    OpenGL Dev Render,  0.020254 seconds

Comparing the two outputs, I find that the time spent in some processes became about 10  times longer, as the dataset became 10 times larger, but some other processes didn't  take 10 times longer time. The biggest difference is  vtkSMRepresentationProxy::GetRepresente, which takes more than 2.4s per frame in the bigger dataset example while in the smaller dataset example it takes less than 0.01s per frame. I don't know what the program does in the vtkSMRepresentationProxy::GetRepresente method. Actually I only know about Still Render. Could you please give me a brief introduction to these items? And, as Catalyst is designed for in situ visualization of very large dataset, is there any method to make the example run faster?

2.When I create Catelyst Python scripts in the ParaView GUI, I have to enable all of the Live Visualization, Output to Cinema and Output rendering components i.e. views options to get live visualization of the simulation in the PV GUI, but under this setting, it generates lots of pictures, which I don't need. If I don't enable either of Output to Cinema or Output rendering components i.e. views, I could not get the live visualization, and of course no picture is generated. But what's the function of the Live Visualization option?

All of the above are situations in the PV 4.4.0 in the client-server mode. As for PV 5.2, I have some problems in using it in the client-server mode. Hope you can help me. Thank you again!

-Zhang