[Paraview] what is the difference between OpenGL rendering backend and OpenGL2 rendering backend when they communicate with the X Window System?

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Mon Feb 13 08:13:23 EST 2017

OPenGL 4.4 is plenty and that card should support the new backend. My first
thought would be to try updating the nvidia driver as it is pretty old.

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 5:23 AM, 张驭洲 <yzhzhang at ipe.ac.cn> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For a long time I have a problem using ParaView 5.2.0 in the client-server
> mode. However, at the same time, I can use ParaView 4.4.0 in this mode on
> the same machine. Recently I have built several different versions of
> ParaView, including 4.3.1, 4.4.0, 5.1.2, 5.2.0, on the same machine and
> with almost the same compilation options (the only difference among the
> buildings is the rendering backend), and I found that when built with
> OpenGL rendering backend, all the versions, including 5.1.2 and 5.2.0, can
> work normally, in both standalone mode and client-server mode. But when
> 5.1.2 and 5.2.0 are built with OpenGL2 rendering backend, they can't work.
> The machine is a node of a HPC system, so I connect to it via realVNC. If I
> start the paraview execuble by typing ./paraview, I get this output:
>
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> If I connect to the node via ssh, and type ./paraview , then I get:
>
> paraview: c annot connect to X server
>
> I know this is because I didn't start the X for the paraview, this test is
> just for comparison.
>
> If I connect to the node via ssh, and type ./paraview -display :0 , then I
> get:
>
> X Error: GLXBadContext 144
>   Extension:    135 (Uknown extension)
>   Minor opcode: 5 (Unknown request)
>   Resource id:  0x36001bc
> ERROR: In /root/Desktop/ParaView-v5.2.0/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
> line 629
> vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x339c550): GLEW could not be initialized.
>

> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> If I connect to the node via ssh, and type ./pvserver and connect to it
> from the paraview GUI on my PC, then I get:
>
> Display is not accessible on the server side.
>
> Remote rendering will be disabled.
>

> This means if I dont't use the rendering feature on the node, other
> features of the ParaView can be used normally.
>

> If I connect to the node via ssh, and type ./pvserver -display :0, and
> connect to it from the paraview GUI on my PC, then I get lots of errors on
> the client side, like this:
>
> ERROR: In /home/buildslave/dashboards/buildbot/paraview-pvbinsdash-
> linux-shared-release_opengl2_qt4_superbuild/source-
> paraview/VTK/Common/System/vtkSocket.cxx, line 572
> vtkClientSocket (0x1973c70): Socket error in call to send. Broken pipe.
>
> And on the server side, the errors are:
>
> X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
>   Major opcode of failed request:  135 (GLX)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
>   Serial number of failed request:  28
>
> From all the tests, I think it's reasonable to guess that the problem lies
> in the X Window system and the OpenGL2 rendering backend. The operation
> system of the node is CentOS 6.3 and the X Window System was installed
> using "yum groupinstall". The GPU on the node is Tesla C2050 and the driver
> version is 331.67. The output from "glxinfo | grep OpenGL" is as follow:

> [...]

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.