[Paraview] Making a package for Nix system

Yves Rogez yves.rogez at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
Thu Feb 9 12:09:22 EST 2017

Dear Paraview team,

we are currently studying the opportunity of migrating our computing
grid environment from "module" system to "nix" packaging system
(https://nixos.org/). In that purpose, I'm trying to compile and pack
Paraview 5.2.0 with its dependencies with nix packages
(https://nixos.org/nixos/packages.html).

To do so, I first installed nixos on a local laptop and give it a try.
The main issue I encountered was to update my nixos kernel with native
videocard drivers but OK, that's done. Then using the attached nix
package script (a slight evolution on paraview 4.0.1 existing one), I
could have packetized 5.2.0 succesfully and it runs very well.

However, I still get an error when I'm trying to use MPI functionality.
The MPI itself with parallelism works, as I can run a auto-MPI session
without problem. The issue occurs when *servermanager.Disconnect()
function is called => Seg fault* with no more info... The bad thing is
that the Disconnect function is called every time I would like to
connect to a server (to disconnect the built-in one). This is also the
case when passing the pvserver in command-line argument.

Do you have an idea of the cause of this seg fault ? Maybe could you
help me find any useful test to debug this ?

Thanks in advance for your support,

Best regards,

Yves

--
Yves Rogez

*IPAG*
/Institut de Planétologie et d'Astrophysique de Grenoble /