[Paraview] Best way to make a code's output Paraview-ready

Samuel Key samuelkey at bresnan.net
Wed Feb 8 10:32:30 EST 2017

Fred,

Useful simulation results formats for ParaView depend on the size of the
datum set. Here are two formats.

For medium to very large massively parallel datum sets, the ExodusII
format works. The ExodusII format is binary, current, and well supported
in ParaView. It is a no-cost, 3rd-party product (
https://github.com/gsjaardema/seacas ).

Another format that works well is the EnSight 'Gold' binary format.
Apart from user-defined cell and point numerical identifiers that to me
do not appear to be supported by ParaView, it can easily handle 10^6
finite element workstation models. It is well documented by the EnSight
organization. For example, (
http://www-vis.lbl.gov/NERSC/Software/ensight/doc/OnlineHelp/UM-C11.pdf
). (The EnSight post-processor is a commercial product that is widely
used and your simulation results can then be read by EnSight users as
well.)  The format supports n-vertex polygons and polyhedrons where
n=(1,2,3,...). The EnSight format has a PART-construct that the ParaView
Extract Block filter allows one to display any combination of PART's.

I have attached an example of  the *.case ASCII-formatted meta file that
the EnSight format uses to describe the file-set containing the binary
data.

Hope this helps in your search for a suitable simulation results format
for ParaView.

Sam Key