[Paraview] Pipeline update with Catalyst

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Tue Feb 7 12:50:22 EST 2017

Glad to hear that you've got it working the way you want.

As far as the generated script, you are right that it should just be seen
as an example. All it really needs is the RequestDataDescription() and
DoCoProcessing() methods (you can also have an optional Finalize() method
as well that takes in a datasecription object if you want to do something
upon exit). What you do in those methods is pretty much up to your
knowledge and imagination. Note that you don't even need to use filters to
do data processing. Have you looked at the Python data set adaptor blogs?
They start at https://blog.kitware.com/improved-vtk-numpy-integration/ and
allow you to deal with the data sets in a more Pythonic way and simplify
using numpy to do operations.

I have trouble myself figuring out what stuff is actual Python code and
what stuff is C++ wrapped. From a functionality standpoint it probably
doesn't make a difference but from a debugging standpoint it makes it a bit
more tough.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Gallagher, Timothy P <
tim.gallagher at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Okay, I'm solidly impressed now.
>

> I know it says all over the place that because Paraview uses Python, you
> can use Python. But for some reason, I always just look at it as using the
> grammar/structure of Python to interface with vtk and Paraview -- for some
> reason it takes me some time to recognize that I can use everything that
> comes with Python. Not sure why since I use Python every day for a lot of
> things.
>

> I also get stuck on what is a transparent, helper function and what is an
> opaque interface to some vtk C++ function. For example, it didn't occur to
> me that the coprocessor.WriteData() function just looped over a list of
> writers, formatted the file name, and then updated the filter. I thought it
> was something in C++ that did things that weren't exposed to the Python
> interface.
>

> Now that I'm slowly recognizing those things though, Catalyst is immensely
> more useful than the way I was using it before. I was sort of pigeonholed
> into thinking it had to look identical to the output from the generator and
> the only thing to tweak was in the pipeline.
>

> I've got it set up now to track volume integrated variables every fixed
> unit of time and also to check if different features appear in the
> solution. If they appear, it writes some different data files and images.
> I've attached the processing method just to close the loop and provide an
> example of how to do the things I couldn't figure out (and didn't think was
> possible). I know there's several things that could probably be done better
> in it, but it works for me at the moment.
>

> Thanks again!
>

> Tim

>>> coprocessor.DoLiveVisualization() calls for each output that is