[Paraview] PlotSelectionOverTime and transient set of particles

Favre Jean jfavre at cscs.ch
Tue Feb 7 11:58:25 EST 2017

Hi there

I have a time-dependent set of particles(stored as 1 cell of type VTK_POLY_VERTEX). Particles are born and die during the simulation. But they have a unique Id. I use it as a "GlobalNodeIds" array.

I want to plot the time history of particles based on their Id. Pretty simple, you'd say. (Although it took me 2 days to get the python syntax straight, :-( ). (This has to run in batch mode; millions of particles and thousands of timesteps)

so I use a GlobalIDSelectionSource() and a PlotSelectionOverTime(). I am able to save screenshots of my QuartileChartView and save the data in a CSV file. It all works well, if and only if the particle exists from the beginning of Time, even if it dies before EndTime.

However, if I give a GlobalID of a particle not yet born at the StartTime, ParaView records all data as 0, vtkValidPointMask is set to 0 (rightly so), but the QuartileChartView draws connected lines with all 0s, then jumps off to the real values at the time the particle is born. My wish would be to *not* draw anything where vtkValidPointMask == 0. Otherwise it throws off all plots. Is there an option to draw "dotted" lines with empty segments where the mask indicates the values are not valid? By the way, these values ought to be NaN (instead of 0).

N.B. if particles die before the end, there is no confusion. The CSV files only record data up until the last timestep where the particle exist.

Any hint would be appreciated.