[Paraview] Pipeline update with Catalyst

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Tue Feb 7 10:05:14 EST 2017

The pipeline is update mechanism is often called a lazy update scheme
meaning only do the requested work and no more. If the UpdateProducers()
method automatically updated all of the filters there would be a lot of
unneeded work that would be done. Think about a Catalyst script that
branched into 3 separate outputs with a lot of work done in each branch. If
only one output was wanted during a time step that could potentially be a
lot of extra, unneeded work.

As for parallel communication in Catalyst, again it's an efficiency thing
meaning that if we can avoid communication we may as well do it. In
interactive mode (i.e. through the GUI) it's useful to know things like the
total number of points and cells, bounds and field ranges which requires
communication. In Catalyst this information isn't usually needed so that's
the type of information that would need to be globally communicated. For
filters like the Integrate Attributes filter, you should get the same
behavior in the GUI as in Catalyst with regard to parallel output since the
filter itself does not know how ParaView is running. Some filters (e.g.
Resample with Dataset) though only have non-empty results on process 0 so
it is definitely safest to check filters like Integrate Attributes in
parallel.

Cheers,
Andy