[Paraview] Issues with PVSB 5.2 and OSMesa support

Michel Rasquin michel.rasquin at colorado.edu
Fri Feb 3 05:57:30 EST 2017

Hi everyone,

I have built ParaViewSuperBuild 5.2 twice on our Linux supercomputer 1) with OSMesa support for CPU compute nodes and 2) with NVDIA OpenGL support for our GPU visualization nodes.

The pvserver with NVDIA OpenGL support works fine (I can connect a client and load data successfully).

However, it starts to become tricky when I use pvserver with OSMesa support.
It appears the resulting pvserver with OSMesa support compiled in Release mode always crashes when I try to load data,
The cmake command include in this case the usual options
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE_paraview=Release \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release \

BUT it works well when it is compiled in Debug mode with the following cmake options:
-DSUPERBUILD_ALLOW_DEBUG:BOOL=ON \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE_paraview=Debug \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug \

Since pvserver compiled with NVIDIA OpenGL support works fine in Release mode but not pvserver with OSMesa in Release mode, the issue points to OSMesa for now.

The pvserver with OSMesa support outputs the following information about my GL and Mesa version when I connect the client:
GL_Version: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 13.0.3

Please note also that I am able to run successfully PVSB 5.0.1 with OSMesa support compiled in Release mode.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Michel