[Paraview] paraview.simple

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Tue Aug 22 09:31:32 EDT 2017

Hi Guillermo,

I think the content in that wiki page is outdated.

Try setting PYTHONPATH to the following in your .bashrc

export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/opt/ParaView-5.3.0-Qt5-
OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit/lib/python2.7/site-packages

See if that works and let us know,
Cory

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 6:04 AM, Guillermo Suárez <guillermo180395 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Yesterday I installed paraview v5.3 using the binaries from the website on
> my Linux (ubuntu) OS. The steps followed are (they my influence on the
> final result):
>
>    1. Download the binaries from http://www.paraview.org. For me this
>       results in: ParaView-5.3.0-Qt5-OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit.tar.gz
>       2. Extract and copy them:
>
>       tar xzvf -C /opt/ParaView-5.3.0-Qt5-OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit.tar.gz
>       sudo emacs ~/.bashrc
>
>       3. then insert the following line, save & close
>
>       export PATH=$PATH:/opt/ParaView-5.3.0-Qt5-OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit/
>       bin/
>

> Then I created a symbolic link:
>
>          sudo ln -s /opt/ParaView-5.3.0-Qt5-OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit/bin/paraview
> /usr/bin/paraview
>
>          sudo ln -s /opt/ParaView-5.3.0-Qt5-OpenGL2-MPI-Linux-64bit/lib/paraview-5.3/
> /usr/lib/paraview-5.3
>
> Before installing paraview from the binaries files I was using the version
> from Ubuntu repositories (paraview version 5.0 [I think]). Also I was using
> a python script which uses paraview to take some snapshoots and it worked
> really well. The problem is that now, when I want to use this python
> script, it reports this message:
>
> "from paraview.simple import *
> ImportError: No module named paraview.simple"
>
> I have made some searches on the Internet and I found a web page about
> this problem: https://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/EnvironmentSetup
> I have copied and pasted those sentences on my .bashrc file, restarted the
> computer but it still does not work.
>
> Could you please help me?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Guillermo S.