[Paraview] Outline of vtkImageData incorrect?

philipp jung philippjung2010 at live.de
Fri Apr 28 10:31:05 EDT 2017

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately i cannot share the dataset. However, the input data only relates to the output data in a way that it provides an upper bound for the output bounds. The actual dimensions and bounds are input by the user and are then processed to extent and spacing which are used for the output properties.

I am constructing the grid in the following way:

    this->seedGrid =    vtkSmartPointer<vtkImageData>::New();

    int extentSeedGrid[6];
    extentSeedGrid[0] = 0;
    extentSeedGrid[1] = static_cast<int>(this->dimensionSeedGrid[0])-1;
    extentSeedGrid[2] = 0;
    extentSeedGrid[3] = static_cast<int>(this->dimensionSeedGrid[1])-1;
    extentSeedGrid[4] = 0;
    extentSeedGrid[5] = static_cast<int>(this->dimensionSeedGrid[2])-1;

    ///Set Size and extent of the seedng grid
    seedGrid->SetExtent(extentSeedGrid);
    seedGrid->SetOrigin(this->originSeedGrid);
    ///Calculate and set spacing of the seeding grid

    this->spacingSeedGrid[0] = this->boundsSeedGrid[0]/static_cast<double>(extentSeedGrid[1]);
    this->spacingSeedGrid[1] = this->boundsSeedGrid[1]/static_cast<double>(extentSeedGrid[3]);
    this->spacingSeedGrid[2] = this->boundsSeedGrid[2]/static_cast<double>(extentSeedGrid[5]);
    this->seedGrid->SetSpacing(this->spacingSeedGrid);

#if VTK_MAJOR_VERSION <= 5

    this->seedGrid->SetNumberOfScalarComponents(1);
    this->seedGrid->SetScalarTypeToDouble();
    this->seedGrid->AllocateScalars();

#else
    this->seedGrid->AllocateScalars(VTK_DOUBLE,1);
#endif

Where dimensionsSeedGrid and boundsSeedGrid are input by the user.
Paraview does show the correct bounds and dimensions within the  information tab.

I hope this provides useful information to find the solution of my problem

Best regards

Philipp Jung