[Paraview] Use different scalars as timesteps in legacy VTK file

Mark Olesen Mark.Olesen at esi-group.com
Fri Apr 28 03:23:04 EDT 2017

I saw something a few weeks back from someone who mentioned writing out an initial vtk file with geometry/data and then using a data mapper for subsequent times. I don't have any other details, but may be it is something to search for.

For your original point: I have encountered the same problem with using the vtk formats (even with xml).
Each file is completely autonomous, meaning that you are duplicating geometry numerous times.
If you have separate files for each field, the situation becomes even worse.
For most of these cases, writing into EnSight format can be an alternative (assuming we are talking about mesh data here), but of course adds an additional level of complexity when writing. However, if your mesh solely of a single element type (eg, the recent posting "Which file format to use for time series on tetrahedral mesh"), then writing EnSight format will not be so terrible (ie, you won't need to sort elements).

Cheers,
/mark