[Paraview] Export Scene in Vector Graphic Format not Working Correctly

David Lonie david.lonie at kitware.com
Thu Apr 27 08:52:47 EDT 2017

Hi Faraz,

The vector graphic export in VTK/ParaView has always been tricky and,
unfortunately, somewhat flaky. Many objects, most notably those that
have textures applied for color, do not come out correctly when
exporting through the GL2PS library, which VTK/ParaView are currently
using. These objects can only be exported as a raster image, since
GL2PS has no way of getting texture information out of the OpenGL
feedback buffer.

With newer versions of OpenGL, the feedback buffer used by GL2PS has
been deprecated, greatly reducing the usability of the export library.
Because of this, all 3D geometry is currently rasterized when using
the new OpenGL2 backend to VTK/ParaView.

Right now, the best you can reliably expect is a rasterized 3D
geometry, with vectorized text. 2D charts in ParaView should export
well, but any general renderview scenes will be mostly rasterized.

We're hoping to improve this in the future, but no work has been
scheduled to improve 3D geometry exports.

One thing that *might* help is to play with the the "Interpolate
Scalars Before Mapping" option on older versions of ParaView while
exporting. This can prevent texturing and make it possible for GL2PS
to extract the necessary information, but it will not make a
difference when the OpenGL2 backend is used.

HTH,
Dave