[Paraview] Camera offset in Cave (ParaView 5.2.0)

Dreer, Jutta Jutta.Dreer at lrz.de
Tue Apr 4 12:01:08 EDT 2017

Dear ParaView experts,

I managed to get ParaView 5.2.0 running in our Cave. I connect a cluster of servers, load the VR plugin, connect VRPN and start tracking. Then I load one of the geometric primitives like a cube and I am glad to say that I see the object moving when moving the glasses, so head tracking is working in principle. I can move or rotate the object with a wand, and it's even moving and turning in the correct direction (Yippee !!).

Now here's the problem: it seems to me that I have an offset of the viewer's position of several meters in the positive z direction (backward). The left and right movements of the object on the projection wall somehow correspond to the movement of the head position, but they seem to belong to a much longer distance between viewer and object. The VR module's window is showing values for a camera position which is several meters from the origin of the Cave (VRPN will give measurements in meters), although the viewer is in fact near to the origin (in the middle of the Cave).

How can I avoid to add an offset to the Camera and just take plain VRPN values for head position?

I am not very experienced with ParaView, sorry if this should be trivial. Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Jutta Dreer
Leibniz Supercomputing Centre, Munich, Germany
Jutta.Dreer at lrz.de