[Paraview] How to merge .vtk files to visualize the result in Paraview

Christopher Neal chrisneal at snumerics.com
Mon Sep 19 13:59:54 EDT 2016

Hey Brennen,

I’m not an expert at Paraview’s IO system, but I believe that individual .vtk files would have to be opened individually i.e. Paraview cannot stitch the .vtk files together.  If you want to be able to open a single file and have the data for each processor’s output file be shown in one coherent data set, then I think you should look into the parallel xml file format that Paraview uses.

A PDF of VTK file formats (XML format is on page 11 of the document): http://www.vtk.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/file-formats.pdf

There is probably a better way to do this, but this is what I would do.
1.) Write a paraview python script to first convert all of the .vtk files to the newer xml format.  See: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26158599/how-to-convert-vtk-legacy-files-to-vtu-format

                You will have to use the correct writer to write the proper XML file format for your data set type – See page 12 of that file-formats pdf that I posted above to see what types exist for the datasets

2.) Let’s assume your data is unstructured. You will now have data for each sub-domain written to a bunch of .vtu files. One .vtu file per processor, just like the .vtk files.  You can stitch all of these files together by using the parallel file format that VTK supports ( see page 16 of that pdf ). You just need to write out a .pvtu file that essentially just has a list containing the name of every .vtu file.

3.) Paraview should be able to open this new .pvtu file and display all of the data for all of the sub-domains.

Again, your xml file type might be .vti, .vtp, etc. depending on the data type that is being written to the .vtk files, structured, image, poly, etc.

Hope this helps. If anyone has a more straightforward solution please share it.

Best regards,

Chris Neal