[Paraview] in-plane vector field from 3D vector field

Andrew antech777 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 09:03:11 EDT 2016

AFAIK, ParaView has no capability of projecting vector on surfaces. That's
why you need to work around with Calculator every time you need to get a
vector projection. If your plane is not just a coordinate plane, you can
use Generate Surface Normals filter, but it doesn't work on all datasets
(in my case it doesn't work on Fluent data exported as EnSight Gold Binary,
it generates normals but then the Calculator only shows that Normals in
vector list, Applying leads to error message that the Normals vector
doesn't exits, so one in the listbox is, probably, a ghost or something
:)). I used this method (Generate normals + Calculator + Normals.Velocity)
extensively with EnSight Gold files exported from CFX and it worked good in
ParaView 4.3 (it was the actual version).