[Paraview] Data handling in ParaView

Stefan Melber Stefan.Melber at DLR.de
Thu Sep 1 06:00:32 EDT 2016

Hi,

i have (maybe) a simple problem: For the visualization of the so called
dual-cells of an unstructured grid i use currently the block-structured
vtu-format. The data thereby consists of many complex cells which are
itself consists of a number of triangles - see the picture d1 attached.
Therefore i have to write out EVERY cell in another vtu-file and group
them with am vtm-file together. This way works well with a small number
of cells (~1000 - as for the picture) however the aim is to go up to
100e6 cells. Depending on the numbers i got from 1000 cells this process
will take ~70 days!

The bottleneck is clearly the huge number of files i have to write (and
read in ParaView). So are there ideas to have another representation in
only one file for such kind of data?

I did some experiments writing all cells in one vtk(vtu)-file and give
them scalar values depending on the cell number. But then, the n-th cell
(its last point) is connected to the n+1 (its first point) and so on.
Looks ugly if the n-th cell is not a direct neighbor to the n+1 cell -
and that can be the case in my data. And - cutting then the resulting
stuff in ParaView i did not get the cutting pictures (like d4) i like to
have ...

Best regards and hoping for some nice ideas,

         Stefan