[Paraview] Paraview 4.4.0 crashes when exporting scene without rasterization of 3D objects

Simon Couture wakeboard2 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 28 14:46:28 EDT 2016

Hello Dave,

I appreciate your feedback. I was hesitant to try the newest version (5.2.0 Windows 64 bit build for me) since I read that there was a new backend which changed the way the vector format was being output, I wanted to go for something more "proven" with 4.4 =D

Still I went ahead and downloaded Paraview 5.2.0 64 bit Windows build. Interestingly I was met with the following warning message

"ERROR: In C:\bbd\df0abce0\source-paraview\VTK\Rendering\OpenGL2\vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 697 vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (0000000007F54CB0): We have determined that your graphics system is an Intel SandyBridge based system. These systems only partially  support VTK. If you encounter any issues please make sure your graphics drivers from Intel are up to date."

Thankfully I have the latest Intel graphics driver installed so I'm hoping for the best.

I try to export scene with the cylinder source as I described in my first e-mail, I save it to .svg format, unchecking the Rasterize 3D geometry. This time Paraview does not crash, however upon opening the .svg file I find that the content is an embedded image, not a vector graphic, that is, unchecking the Rasterize 3D geometry option gives the same result as when this option is checked.

Simon