[Paraview] Data structure type

Christian Gabriel cgabriel at matrix-solutions.com
Thu Oct 27 21:30:10 EDT 2016

Good day.

I'm looking into Paraview for 3D visualisation of modelling results from an integrated surface water/groundwater model.

The model domain is discretized as a uniform rectilinear grid; calculations are performed for the grid centroids.
However, the vertical extent of a grid cell is described by a top and bottom elevation, constant over the cell.
This results in a staggered arrangement of cells (kinda like Lego blocks) in cross-section view:

[cid:image005.png at 01D23093.B0EEA000]

NOT:

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D23095.6C62CB80]

I'm wondering what data type/structure I would use for this kind of data?

Also, is there an easy way/filter in Paraview to re-project/interpolate the centre based (const) elevation data to the corners/nodes of the uniform rectilinear "horizontal" grid, which would allow for a display as shown on the right (instead of staggered)?

Thanks a lot,

Chris