[Paraview] Technical informations

Chady Ghnatios cghnatios at ndu.edu.lb
Wed Oct 19 10:51:48 EDT 2016

Good morning,

I am an assistant professor at Notre Dame University (Lebanon) and we are buying a new computing server in the university. I am sending you this message to get a clarification regarding the following points :

1.      While using Paraview, is there an added value in using SSD disks or is the workload only RAM dependant? Does using SSD technology improve the software speed?
2.      During the visualisation, do we need a cutting edge technology for the GPU of the server or a small chipset can do the graphical job? On what level is the graphical workload done, on the server or on the workstation/pc layer.
3.      Our currently adopted configuration is as follows (Not final, your comments are appreciated)
o   Dual Dell R730xd servers with up to 26 2.5 inch hard drives each
o   Dual E5-2650 v4 2.2Ghz 30MB Cache 12 cores/24 threads each (total of 24 cores/48 threads)
o   1TB RAM
o   2 x 300GB 10k HDDs for OS
o   24 x 600GB SAS 15k Drives for data/app
o   PERC H730p 2GB Cache RAID Controller
o   2 x 10Gb + 4 x 1Gb ports
o   The resources of this server may also be shared to run another application at the same time so it would be useful to know how much of these resources we need to dedicate to Paraview for full functionality (also taking into account disk performance (IOPS) requirements)
4.      We aim to start running locally on the server, but move to a clustered environment in the future (HPC)
5.      We expect 5 to 10 concurrent users.

Thanking you in advance for your feedback,

Best regards,
Chady Ghnatios ??