[Paraview] [Paraview-developers] ParaView 5.2 Release Candidate 1 available for download

David Lonie david.lonie at kitware.com
Thu Oct 13 13:20:22 EDT 2016

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 7:18 AM, Gena Bug via ParaView <
paraview at paraview.org> wrote:

> On 11.10.2016 18:15, Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Among several new features, this release includes anti-aliasing
>> support [1]. Currently, it's off by default. I'd encourage all testers
>> and early adopters to turn it on and report any issues you notice. If
>> we don't hear of any major obstacles, we would anti-aliasing on my
>> default in the final release (or subsequent RCs)
>>
> I attached two screenshots of a simple 2d cartesian mesh, one with
> anti-aliasing enabled and one without it. For me the one with AA looks
> strange -- cells look like circles not squares. Is it expected behavior?

Unfortunately it is. FXAA is an approximate anti-aliasing solution that's
applied as a post-processing pass over the rendered scene -- since ParaView
often does distributed rendering, this is really the only way we can
reliably get anti-aliasing without introducing major artifacts at processor
boundaries.

Because it's only working with the rendered pixel data (instead of actual
geometric primitives), there are some occasional issues like this one. In
this case, it's detecting the intersections as aliased edges and attempting
to smooth them out, fattening the line near the intersection as a result.

HTH,
Dave