[Paraview] Paraview python script: passing images to PIL (python image library)

Albina, Frank frank.albina at sauber-motorsport.com
Wed Oct 12 13:42:20 EDT 2016

All,
A simple question: my incentive is to manipulate images using PIL in a pvbatch script. At the time being, I am writing the images to file in PNG format and reading the file again from disc using PIL. I have found out that the underlying image writing is performed by the vtkPNGWriter class and that this class allows to write to memory (vtkPNGWriter.SetWriteToMemory). Hence my question: Is it possible to "write" a PNG file to memory so that I can  process it further using PIL? If so, how shall I proceed?
Thank you very much in advance.
Cheers,
Frank.