[Paraview] How to use the plugin Geodesic Measurement

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Wed Oct 12 10:38:04 EDT 2016

Hi Salazar,

Here are some steps to use it.

1). Load surface data.

2). If your surface consists of cells other than triangles, triangulate the
data with a Triangulate filter.

3). Create a Poly Line Source. It will start with 2 points.

4). Place the points in the Poly Line Source on the triangulated surface.
Select which point you want to place in the list by clicking its row, move
your mouse cursor over the surface where you want the point to be places,
then press the 'p' key. The selected point to jump to the surface point
under the mouse cursor. Repeat for the second point.

5). Select the surface data source. Add a Geodesic Measurement filter. Set
the Input to the triangulated surface data source and Endpoints to the Poly
Line Source. Click Apply.

6). The geodesic path should be produced by the filter and can be
visualized as any other poly data with line segments. In addition, the
output has field data that contains the length of the path. You can view
this by creating a SpreadSheet View and selecting the output of the
Geodesic Measurement filter - Field Data in the spreadsheet view options.

HTH,
Cory

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 5:18 PM, Salazar De Troya, Miguel <
salazardetro1 at llnl.gov> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I loaded the Geodesic Measurement plugin with the Plugin Manager, but I do
> not know how to use it. I see it as a filter option, but it is disabled
> even for point-based data. I haven’t been able to find an example either. I
> am interested in finding the shortest path between two points in a surface.
>
> Thanks
> MIguel

> opensource/opensource.html

Cory Quammen