[Paraview] Need node numbers and element node connectivity

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Sun Nov 27 19:20:35 EST 2016

Chaitanya,

If I understand your question correctly, you should be able to solve your problem by running the Generate Ids filter before writing out the CSV file.

-Ken

From: ParaView <paraview-bounces at paraview.org> on behalf of Chaitanya Raj Goyal <chaitanyaraj108 at gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 6:44 PM
To: "paraview at paraview.org" <paraview at paraview.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [Paraview] Need node numbers and element node connectivity

Dear All,

I run a FEM simulation in FEniCS to obtain two output files. One is of .vtu format and the other is of .xdmf format.

However, because I do parallel processing, in the former case, I actually obtain different .vtu files for different processors, a single .pvtu file and  a single .pvd file. In the latter case, I obtain a single .xdmf and a .h5 file.

Both simulations are 2D, and if you open the spreadsheet format in Paraview, you see something like this:

[cid:image001.png at 01D248D2.926E9B60]
​
I need to do some post processing on the solution vectors 'u' and 'v'. You may also refer to them as 'ux' and 'uy' OR "f_18_1" and "f_18_2". Therefore, I need to import it in MATLAB. To do that, in ParaView, I first go to menu >> save data >> save file in CSV format for all points. The csv file I am looking at gives me 6 columns - Coordinate X, Y, Z, Solution ux, uy, uz. Here Z and uz are zero vectors. How can I also get the node number for the given node coordinates, and how can I get the elemental nodal connectivity? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Chaitanya