[Paraview] Startup Bug

Clayton C claytonfcampbell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:43:20 EDT 2016

Hello everyone,

I have recently started to use pvtu files in Paraview and for some reason
they seem to be causing program startup issues for me. I startup Paraview,
load my pvtu files, and can apply filters as desired. Everything seems to
work fine until I close Paraview and try to launch a new session. After
this, Paraview will not launch and crashes on startup every time. Applying
or not applying filters does not seem to matter, nor does saving or not
saving the session. Simply loading a pvtu file and then closing the program
does not allow me to open Paraview again. This persists even after a full
system restart.

The only way I can get Paraview to start again is to do a fresh install. I
have had this happen with several fresh installs of 5.1.2 and 5.2.0 so far.
I should note that I have not had any problems with non-partitioned vtu
files before. I made the switch to using pvtu files after discovering I
could perform Elmer simulations on multiple cores, speeding things up quite
a bit. I am on Windows 10 64bit.

I plan to try older versions of Paraview to see if I get the same result.
Wondering if anybody has experienced this before or might be able to help
me troubleshoot?

Thanks,
Clayton