[Paraview] Memory leak with Catalyst

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Fri May 20 14:39:49 EDT 2016

Hi Tim,

If you build Catalyst with VTK_DEBUG_LEAKS enabled it is pretty good at
finding VTK objects that aren't deleted properly. You should be able to run
this with a small amount of calls to Catalyst as well. If you try this and
want help understanding the output (if an object like a vtkUnstructuredGrid
is leaked it will often give a whole bunch of false leaks that the
unstructured grid is just holding the references to), just share your
output file and I can take a look at it to try and narrow down the culprit.
That may be slightly easier to use than Valgrind.

Beyond this, you could maybe try the same run but without doing any
Catalyst work to see what happens then. That may be a lot of compute cycles
but I'm not sure how else to try and bisect where the memory leak is
occurring.

Initializing and finalizing Catalyst every time you want output would
probably work but I'd think there may be significant overhead doing it like
this. Plus, it's not really solving the problem -- just avoiding it.

Best,
Andy