[Paraview] Paraview 5.0.1: Export Scene to pdf -- appears in white

Ramiro James Rebolledo Cormack ramrebol at gmail.com
Fri May 20 10:19:15 EDT 2016

Thanks Utkarsh.

> Ramiro,
>
> A few things to note:
>
> + Not sure what's the deal with 4.0.1, but it's too old at this point
> so let's ignore that.

I'm agree. I was just testing to understand what is happening.

> + When you downloaded ParaView 5.0.1 from paraview.org, starting with
> 5.0.1, we are using a new implementation of the rendering backend for
> our binaries [1]. This rendering backend, let's call OpenGL2, doesn't
> support exporting to PDF, at least, not in 5.0.1. It's been fixed in
> git "master".

In my laptop I have 3 options (pressing enter buttom) for
VTK_RENDERING_BACKEND:  OpenGL, OpenGL2 and None,
but in my desktop I have only one: OpenGL.

I compile paraview in my laptop (ubuntu 16.04) and my desktop (ubuntu
14.04) with exactly the same options in ccmake, in particular: OpenGL.
In my laptop 'Export to pdf' works perfect.
Is this related this the nvidia driver? In my desktop I have installed
nvidia driver, but in my destop I have not installed nvidia driver.

> + I suspect ParaView 5.0.1 from Ubuntu is using the old rendering
> backend by default. The title bar should say something like "ParaView
> 5.0.1 (Legacy Rendering Backend)". This backend still support the old
> export to PDF code and hence should have that option.

You are right: in the paraview version from ubuntu repository says
"ParaView 5.0.1 (Legacy Rendering Backend)" in the tittle bar.
Also, in my both compiled paraview 5.0.1 appears "ParaView 5.0.1 (Legacy
Rendering Backend)" in the tittle bar too.

> + When you compiled 5.0.1 from source, I suspect you are getting the
> old rendering backend too (unless you changed the CMake variable
> VTK_RENDERING_BACKEND to OpenGL2). Not entirely sure why export would
> fail in that case. There isn't any special flag to enable PDF export.

Now, in my desktop I'm trying compiling with OpenGL2 option (the option
doesn't comes hiting the enter button, instead of my laptop, but I chosed
writting it), and crossing my fingers.

I appreciate any ideas or suggestions (I don't have more), to find a way for
fix this 'little' problem: to have the export to pdf option.

Thanks again.

--
Ramiro