[Paraview] capability of ParaView, Catalyst in distributed computing environment ...

Ufuk Utku Turuncoglu (BE) u.utku.turuncoglu at be.itu.edu.tr
Wed May 18 05:22:38 EDT 2016

Hi All,

I just wonder about the capability of ParaView, Catalyst in distributed
computing environment. I have little bit experience in in-situ
visualization but it is hard for me to see the big picture at this
point. So, i decided to ask to the user list to get some suggestion from
the experts. Hypothetically, lets assume that we have two simulation
code that are coupled together (i.e. fluid-structure interaction) and
both of them have their own MPI_COMM_WORLD and run on different
processors (model1 runs on MPI rank 0,1,2,3 and model2 runs on 4,5,6,7).
What is the correct design to create integrated in-situ visualization
analysis (both model contributes to same visualization pipeline) in this
case? Do you know any implementation that is similar to this design? At
least, is it possible?

In this case, the adaptor code will need to access to two different
MPI_COMM_WORLD and it could run on all processor (from 0 to 7) or its
own MPI_COMM_WORLD (i.e. MPI ranks 8,9,10,11). Also, the both simulation
code have its own grid and field definitions (might be handled via
defining different input ports). Does it create a problem in Paraview,
Catalyst side, if the multiblock dataset is used to define the grids of
the components in adaptor. I am asking because some MPI processes
(belongs to adaptor code) will not have data for specific model
component due to the domain decomposition implementation of the
individual models. For example, MPI rank 4,5,6,7 will not have data for
model1 (that runs on MPI rank 0,1,2,3) and 0,1,2,3 will not have data
for model2 (that runs on MPI rank 4,5,6,7). To that end, do i need to
collect all the data from the components? If this is the case, how can i
handle 2d decomposition problem? Because, the adaptor code has no any
common grid structure that fits for all the model components.

Regards,

Ufuk Turuncoglu