[Paraview] Mono and Stereo Rendering in the CAVE

Faiz Abidi fabidi89 at vt.edu
Mon Mar 28 14:18:02 EDT 2016

Thanks for your help, Aashish and David.

On the glxgears in stereo mode....

"The glxgears --stereo uses quad-buffered (frame sequential) stereo. With
the projectors and cables we have at the CAVE at VT, the active stereo is
happening at the projector. It is being sent two separate video channels, 1
for left eye and one for right eye. Basically, at the computer side it is
like passive stereo. Glxgears does not have this type of stereo option."
This is why glxgears doesn't work in stereo mode here.

David, I have tried that configuration. See HERE
<https://github.com/faizabidi/VE_Project/blob/master/cave-stereo.pvx>. Yes,
both sections are driving the same set of pixels, so the coordinates must
be the same. But I get the same issue like before. I am kind of confused
here now. I am still trying to figure it out. Thanks for looking into this.
If you run into any new ideas, please do let me know.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 1:09 PM, David E DeMarle <dave.demarle at kitware.com>
wrote:

> Cool that's easy enough to try.
>
> @Faiz edit your pvx like so:
> <Machine Name="CTL"
>            Environment="DISPLAY=:0.4"
>            Geometry="2560x1600+0+0"
>            FullScreen="1"
>            ShowBorders="0"
>            LowerLeft="-1  -1  -1"
>            LowerRight="1    -1  -1"
>            UpperRight="1    1   -1"/>
>     <Machine Name="CTR"
>            Environment="DISPLAY=:0.5"
>            Geometry="2560x1600+0+0"
>            FullScreen="1"
>            ShowBorders="0"
>            LowerLeft="-1    -1  1"
>            LowerRight="1   -1  -1"
>            UpperRight="1   1   -1"/>
> becomes
> <Machine Name="CTL"
>            Environment="DISPLAY=:0.4"
>            Geometry="2560x1600+0+0"
>            FullScreen="1"
>            ShowBorders="0"
>            LowerLeft="-1  -1  -1"
>            LowerRight="1    -1  -1"
>            UpperRight="1    1   -1"/>
>     <Machine Name="CTR"
>            Environment="DISPLAY=:0.5"
>            Geometry="2560x1600+0+0"
>            FullScreen="1"
>            ShowBorders="0"
>            LowerLeft="-1    -1  -1" #NOTE the change here to make it match
> CTL
>            LowerRight="1   -1  -1"
>            UpperRight="1   1   -1"/>
>
> Both sections are driving the same set of pixels, so their world space
> coordinates have to match. The only difference is the display number which
> selects the video output. If you had multiple machines, you would have to
> tailor your mpiexec call to ensure the the ordering, but since all are on
> the same machine any process can directly draw to any display so it won't
> matter.
>

> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> R&D Engineer
> 21 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: 518-881-4909
>
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Aashish Chaudhary <
> aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 12:10 PM, David E DeMarle <
>> dave.demarle at kitware.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Agree with Aashish on getting glxgears stereo as a prerequisite.
>>>
>>> Also one point of misunderstanding I see is that different displays in
>>> the pvx are meant to go to different tiles. Each tile shows left and right
>>> eye interleaved in time or color or pixel offset. The displays are not mean
>>> to be different eyes for the same tile as you want them to be. That is why
>>> we have a single eye separation for the whole config but you want a left
>>> eye or right eye designation for each output.
>>>
>>> @Aashish - Faiz would need to hack ParaView right ? Or is there some
>>> hidden configuration setting I've not seen before?
>>>

>> He would need to have two display configs for each output (which on linux
>> should have  different display number such as :0.0 and :0.1). That's the
> [...]

Faiz Abidi | Master's Student at Virginia Tech | www.faizabidi.com |
+1-540-998-6636